Linoleum Print Workshop



I recently took a linoleum print workshop with a local artist Dan Cautrell at the Northest Art Center in Duvall, WA. We first drew a design onto vellum paper then traced the design with graphite paper onto a 7x5 piece of linoleum. When you are satisfied with your design you then begin carving with a linoleum cutter. This is incredibe intense work. I spent most of 4 hours carving and my hands were cramped and sore when I was done. When it became increasingly difficult to carve we warmed up our lino pieces on a big hot plate. Too warm though and you will carve out a big chunk. (Please forgive my photos. I am not the best photographer for sure).

When done carving we then brayered a thick artist grade black ink (sorry don't know the name)onto our carved linoleum. This really made the design pop and also helped determine if more carving was necessary.

We then block pressed the inked lino as black and white onto a very thick shiny vellum like paper.






This was so we could get a reverse print onto our color sheet. We pressed this paper onto a stampboard and covered with a sticky acetate. This became our template for color. We used watercolor crayons and markers and simply wiped off the color after pressing them. I now have a permanent color sheet that I can use all the time. I know my instructions are muddled. I am no expert by any means and this was the first lino class I have ever taken.

Pressed with watercolor crayons.



Pressed with watercolor markers.


No comments:

My Stuff